Since I haven’t been here or on Instagram in awhile, some of you have been checking in on me to see if my wife and I are okay, and while I’ve responded to some of you via e-mail, I haven’t responded to all of you. So here’s the breakdown:
- We’re still here in northcentral Pennsylvania.
- I’m still working at the library (curbside pickups and pickups and computer use in the building, all by appointment). My wife is still working as a 911 dispatcher for our county. Our respective families are well. Kim’s sister, mother, our brother-in-law and nephew had presumptive cases of covid-19 back in the beginning of April, but they’re all doing well.
- We’re still reading.
Hey, let’s talk about that:
- I’m still reading The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – which, when finished, will mean I have read the entire Sherlock Holmes canon by Doyle and also is in the second and final volume of the collection I’ve been reading from since last year. I recently finished Gold of Our Fathers, the fourth in the Darko Dawson mystery series, by Kwei Quartey, and am planning to read Death by His Grace, the fifth in the same series, by Quartey.
- UPDATE: As of early Saturday afternoon, I have abandoned this book after only a chapter. This one began with the focus on a couple, presumably one of them the victim or the accused of a murder to come, and not on Dawson as the first four in the series. I skimmed ahead, only to see Dawson is introduced after several chapters, and quickly decided I didn’t like the change of focus so “cut bait,” so to speak.
- Kim’s finishing The Autobiography of Malcolm X, which she never read (!), and tentatively plans to read Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor next.
We’re watching a bit of this and a bit of that…
- Parks and Recreation reruns
- Drunk History reruns once a week, usually on Wednesdays
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine reruns
- Bob’s Burgers once a week for burger night on Fridays
- Boyz n the Hood, which she’d never seen.
- What We Do in the Shadows, the TV series.
- Kim: Recently finished Transparent on Amazon Prime and is making her way through Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix
- Her must watch of the last few months: Pose, now on Netflix.
- My must watch of the last few months: Ip Man 4, also now on Netflix.
We’re also listening a bit of this and a bit of that:
- Me on constant replay: Fear of Music by The Talking Heads.
- My pick of the year so far: Rough and Rowdy Ways by Bob Dylan.
- Kim’s recent plays: Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Eight Diagrams by Wu-Tang Clan.
That’s about it, or at least all I want to talk about for now. I’ll leave you with a photo from my walk this morning, the start of a three-day weekend for me as I’m off through Monday (new hours at the library, closed on Mondays for a deep cleaning of the building).
UPDATE: Saturday night I received an email from the Free Library of Philadelphia that a book I had on hold was now available. So now today, Sunday, I plan on reading The Rat Began To Gnaw The Rope by C.W. Grafton, a hard-boiled noir mystery, from The Library of Congress Crime Collection. And yes, he was related to the late Sue Grafton. He was her father.