…while I was away “fishin'”…
- Living Nations, Living Words: An Anthology of First Peoples Poetry, collected and with an introduction by Joy Harjo, the 23rd and current Poet Laureate of the United States, to which I also listened with the poets reading their own works via The Library of Congress. I highly recommend listening to the poets and also reading the poems with the line breaks they intended as on the LOC website. I had the ebook version and reading the poems in PDFs was especially helpful.
- Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman. I’ve always wanted to read this series, but never have. It’s good enough that I already have checkers out the second in the series.
- the final season of both CSI: Miami and Criminal Minds, with the latter being better if only for giving the viewers a better going-away party with the characters.
- Idiocracy (with my wife).
- a streaming video of a 2014 concert by Pearl Jam that marked the 25th anniversary of their fourth album No Code on August 27. The October 17, 2014 show from Moline, IL saw the band perform the 1996 album from start to finish. That day also marked the 30th anniversary of their album Ten.
My wife and I also have started watching:
- Only Murders in The Building with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, which has been brilliant thus far.
- Alice in Paris, which, according to The New York Times, is “a show initially aired in two-minute episodes, but those have been repackaged as eight half-hour installments.” The shows are scripted, but feature real restaurants and cafes in Paris.
- Britbox and Starz, through 99 cents a month specials on Prime Video.
As for what’s in the reading queue, I have several possibilities:
- Network Effect by Martha Wells
- Fugitive Telemetry, also by Wells
- Growing Old: Notes on Aging with Something Like Grace by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
- The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams
- How to Find Your Own Way in the Dark by Derek B. Miller
- The Turnout by Megan Abbott
- Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry by Harry Kemelman
- Angelica’s Smile by Andrea Camilleri
- The Essential Muriel Rukeyser, with a foreword by Natasha Trethewy.
And last night, I went to Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago…via a livestream. I’ll leave you with a song from Angel Olsen, one of the performers I saw there.
So, how y’all been doing in the past couple of weeks since I have been away? Reading, watching, listening to anything of note? Please share in the comments.
8 thoughts on “In the interim…”
You’ve been gone for awhile so it’s good to see you back.
Time slipped away from me so I am catching up on posts today. It’s nice to have so much quiet at home but I find myself distracted by small projects and then the day is done.
I am still watching American Horror Stories. It’s probably my favorite season ever.
There is some new movie coming out on Netflix this weekend with Melissa McCarthy called The Starling. It looks good. I may watch it this weekend. Listening, Kanye’s new album is kind of amazing.
Lots of good stuff! I need to pick up book 3 in the Martha Wells’ series. It’s been a while since l read (and loved) book 2 but I haven’t been able to make time for 3 yet, mainly because it’s always a 2-3 week hold at the library and by the time I get the book, I’m in the middle of other reads. Hope you are having a great week!
I’m making my way slowly through the series too.
I’m glad to see you have returned refreshed, Bryan.
I like how you combined an audio with an ebook of poetry, and with the poets reading the poems themselves.That’s an ideal way to experience poetry. I need to read more poetry.
You are the third person who has recommended Only Murders in the Building. I think I will take a look this week. And I’ve been intending to subscribe to Britbox. It’s the only way to view 62 Up, the last video in the Up series.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Glad to hear that you are enjoying Only Murders in The Building. It’s been a nice surprise.
Glad you’re back and I hope you had a wonderful couple of weeks “fishing.” I’ve got a busy week of board meetings and professional development workshops coming up so have that Sunday Night feeling….
I’m only familiar with CSI: Miami and Criminal Minds, and of course Britbox and Starz.
I hope you have a great week!
So which did you like better: CSI Miami or Criminal Minds?
Comments are closed.